Sermon on Optimism – Bible Optimism
– Bible Optimism
PROPOSITION: To set forth some optimistic resolutions each Christian should make in light of the new year.
OBJECTIVES: Each member should be motivated to go forward into the new year and work for God anticipating great accomplishments.
AIM: I want to motivate all to be optimistic toward this new year.
1. Read: Philippians 3:13-16
2. About the Text:
1) When we look at the history of Paul, he had everything to be down about.
2) But he was forgiven!
3) He, therefore, went forward doing what was right without letting the past interfere with his work.
3. God gives us power to do His will through His word.
1) The gospel is God’s power (Romans 1:16).
2) That power works in us-Christians-if we let it work in us.
3) Ephesians 3:20, 21
4. Ref. to S, T, P, O, and A.
DISCUSSION: In this sermon on optimism we resolve…
I. To bury the past.
1. This does not mean that we cannot learn from the past. We must learn from the past.
1) Romans 15:4 “For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that through patience and through comfort of the scriptures we might have hope.”
2) 1 Corinthians 10:11 “Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.”
2. We, however, cannot change what is in the past, so we should not live in it.
1) Notice Joshua’s attitude in Joshua 1:1,2,6, 9.
2) Notice Daniel’s attitude in Daniel 1.
3) Contrast the destructive attitude of Judas.
3. We must not think that we have no more future.
1) When we negatively reflect upon the mistakes of the past.
2) When we fail to forgive ourselves.
3) Forgiveness is dealing positively with the negative past. Matthew 18:21, 22 Seven times seventy.
4) When we fail to realize the potential that we still have to do good.
4. The time to consider is now. 2 Corinthians 6:2 “For He says: “In an acceptable time I have heard you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.”
1) Our decisions occur in the present.
2) Our actions occur in the present.
3) We live in the present.
II. To Look Ahead
1. We must run a race.
1) 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.”
2) Run to obtain.
3) Run with certainty.
4) Run with discipline.
2. There is no one here today who has finished.
1) It is a defeatist attitude to say such.
2) Does the runner in the middle of the race act as if he is finished?
3) He is NOT finished until the race has ended.
4) Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,”
3. Why would we not think that God can still use us today?
1) 1 Corinthians 15:58 “Wherefore my beloved brethren . . . .”
2) Romans 8:31 “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
3) Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
4. Let us look ahead toward the future.
1) Philippians 3:13, 14 “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”
2) 2 Corinthians 4:16 “Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.”
3) Finally, in this sermon on optimism we resolve:
III. To Put our Complete Trust in God and Christ
1. Christ makes all things new.
1) 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.”
2) Rev. 21:5 Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.”
2. All things are possible.
1) Philippians 4:13
2) John 15:4-8 “Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5″I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6″If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7″If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8″By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.”
3) If we abide in Christ all things are possible.
3. We have an unshakeable kingdom.
1) Hebrews 12:28 “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear.”
2) God has given us the perfect pattern for life. Do we believe Peter? 2 Peter 1:3 “All things”
3) Do we believe Paul? 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 “All scripture”
4. If God has done His part, then wherein lie any problems?
1) With us. Will you be a willing, optimistic, helping, cooperative?
2) Be optimistic! To the pessimist doors have locks and latches, but to the optimist doors have handles and hinges.
3) Philippians 3:13-16 “Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.”
IV. To Work as If This Year were our Last
1. What would we do if this were our last year as a congregation?
2. Away with any and all excuses.
1) “No one is perfect.”
2) “I don’t have that talent.”
3) “I have failed too many times.”
4) “Others won’t listen to me.”
5) Learn from Moses. Exodus 3.
a. God said, “I will be with you.”
b. Moses said, “What will I tell them?” “What if they won’t listen to me?” “I am slow of tongue.”
c. God said, “Tell them the great “I AM” sent you.” “Show them the miracles.” “Take Aaron with you.”
6) God accepted no excuses from Moses. He is no respecter of persons. What makes us think he will accept any excuses from us???
3. Let us work heartily and with all our might.
1) Colossians 3:23, 24 “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.”
2) In Ecclesiastes 9:10 “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might”
4. We must remember God in whatever we do! James 4:13-15
CONCLUSION: It’s a time for OPTIMISM In this sermon on optimism:
1. Let us resolve . . .
1) To bury the past.
2) To look ahead.
3) To put our complete trust in Christ
4) To work as if this were our last year.
Partial credit for this sermon outline goes to Foy Forehand
Sermon Outlines,Topical Sermon Outlines
>>Here is the Original Post!<<<
Bible Verse of the Day
- Awesome Gospel: The Church of Christ, Approved by God
- Awesome Gospel: Sermon on Optimism – Bible Optimism
- Awesome Gospel: Back to School | BibleTalk.tv
- Awesome Gospel: His Mercies Are New Every Morning
- DOWNLOAD: Mark Knopfler – The Long Road mp3 (Video & Lyrics)
- DOWNLOAD Sarah Reeves – Faithful [Mp3, Lyrics & Video]
- DOWNLOAD: We Are Messengers – Come What May mp3 (Video & Lyrics)
- MP3 DOWNLOAD: You Covered Me – Dr. R.A. Vernon & Timothy Reddick [+ Lyrics]
- DOWNLOAD: Vance Joy – Fire And The Flood mp3 (Video & Lyrics)
- MP3 DOWNLOAD: Hillsong Worship – Let There Be Light [+ Lyrics]
- Change Location: A Devotion for Life
- DOWNLOAD: Noah Kahan – Anyway mp3 (Video & Lyrics)
- The Happy Song Lyrics & Video – Delirious
- Doxology Lyrics & Video – Passion ft David Crowder
- Silent Night Lyrics & Video – Chris Tomlin
- Another In The Fire Lyrics – Hillsong UNITED, TAYA
- Faithfulness Lyrics & Video – Hillsong Worship
- In the Presence of Angels Lyrics – Laura Hackett Park
- Jesus We Love You Lyrics & Video – Isabel Davis
- Driven By Love (Spontaneous) Lyrics – Lindy & The Circuit Riders
Praise Songs1 year ago
You Are My Strength Lyrics – Maranda Curtis
African Gospel Songs1 year ago
Have You Heard What The Lord Has Done Lyrics (Ose Iye) – Thando
Contemporary Gospel1 year ago
Never Be Defeated Lyrics – Rich Tolbert Jr
SDA Hymnal Songs1 year ago
What A Day That Will Be Lyrics – Gaither Vocal Band
Worship Songs1 year ago
God I Look To You Lyrics & Video – Maranda Curtis
601-7003 years ago
601 – Watchmen, on the Walls of Zion
Worship Songs1 year ago
We Give You Glory Lord As We Honor You Lyrics – Uche Agu
SDA Hymnal Songs1 year ago
Victory in Jesus Lyrics – Eugene Bartlett